Recycle, donate and find something new to you at PlanetCon.
The free recycling, reuse and sustainability fair features recycling of plastics, electronics, small appliances and batteries; a free market swap area for holiday decor; a repair fair; and donation of goods.
Here’s how you can participate in this upcoming event.
PlanetCon: A Free Recycling, Reuse and Sustainability Fair
PlanetCon is taking place at PCC Rock Creek on Saturday, January 14 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event offers a variety of activities with specific information on how you can participate in each one.
Here’s a list of all the activities:
Recycling Drop Off
Items that can be dropped off include:
- Batteries, CFLs, medications, and medical sharps.
- Computers, electronics and other small corded items.
- Small appliances, string lights and printer ink cartridges.
- Select plastics, including #1 PET/PETE plastic and #5 PP plastic.
- Redeemable cans and bottles.
PlanetCon has put together a checklist of what will be accepted and will not be accepted at the recycling drop off.
Bring in clean and usable winter holiday décor. Then browse the tables to find items to take home. Donation limit is an armful of goods per person. No oversized or heavy items will be accepted.
You don’t have to bring something to take something from the free table and there is no limit to how much each person can take home.
Bring broken household items for free repair. Acceptable items include:
- Small furniture
- Small appliances
Registration is required and limited to two items per person.
A bike technician will be onsite to make minor bike repairs on personal bikes at the bike donation area.
Donate Usable Items
PlanetCon is also accepting donations of goods including:
- Bicycles from children to adult sizes, including bikes and bike parts in any condition and bike accessories.
- Hearing aids and eyeglasses, including prescription eyeglasses of any size, readers, sunglasses, clip-on sunglasses, fit-overs, safety goggles, swim goggles, hearing aids, hearing aid batteries, and other hearing aid accessories. Frames must be intact with no breakage but scratched lenses are OK. If a screw is missing but the lens/lenses are there, keep parts together.
- Clean warm clothing and hygiene items, including warm coats, gloves/mittens, socks, blankets, unopened hygiene products of any sort and size.
Learn more about important reuse topics at a variety of information tables. Topics covered include:
- Reduce, reuse and repair tips.
- Preventing and reducing wasted food with Eat Smart, Waste Less.
- Recycling at home.
- Reducing your use of single-use items.
- Learn how to make your own green cleaners to reduce toxics in the home.
- The Master Recycler program offers training on recycling and sustainable practices.
PlanetCon takes place at PCC Rock Creek campus at 17705 NW Springville Rd. in Portland. Head to parking lot E and building 9. If taking Trimet public transit, get off the bus at stop ID 4429.
This free event is hosted by the Westside Planet Alliance. For more information, visit PlanetCon’s website.