On August 21, Powell’s City of Books on Burnside will be reopening to the public. Before you rush to browse the shelves of Portland’s favorite bookstore, read through this information for a fun and safe visit.
At the Burnside location’s reopening will be limited to the Green and Blue rooms from 12-6 p.m. on Wednesday-Sunday. Customers will enter at Burnside and 10th and will have access to the inventory housed in the two rooms of the store, including featured new arrivals, bestsellers, used books, small press, and gift items.
The used book buying counter is still closed, but you can sell your used books online. Free store pickup is available at the Couch St. and 11th Ave. entrance.
The Cedar Hills location is open from 12-6 p.m. on Wednesday-Sunday. The book buying counter is closed at this location as well. Free store pickup is available.
The Hawthorne location is closed to the public. Free store pickup is available.
Powell’s Books for Home and Garden on Hawthorne is temporarily closed.
The Powell’s store at the Portland Airport is permanently closed.
Free Store Pickup
Powell’s Books does encourage shoppers to place orders online and use their free store pickup service. When ordering books online, you can choose this option during checkout.
If you already know what book or author you’re interested in, it will save you time to have the books gathered and waiting for you when you arrive. I have enjoyed browsing the Powell’s website for books over the past few months. It isn’t as fun as visiting, but I like looking through staff recommendations and perusing the sale section.
- They will be monitoring the number of customers in the store at one time and have outdoor, socially distanced waiting line protocol in place to manage crowds.
- Face masks are required at all times while in the store. If you don’t have a mask, they will provide you with one.
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet between yourself, other patrons, and employees.
- You’re asked to use hand sanitizer before browsing. It will be available at sanitizer stations near the entrance and at each info desk and lookup station.
- Please plan on paying with a debit or credit card. The book stores cannot accept cash at this time.
- Shopping baskets will be cleaned after each use.
- High-use areas like lookup stations, info desks, and cash registers are frequently disinfected.
- Plexiglass has been installed at all info desks and cash registers.
- The restrooms are currently closed to the public.
For more information about reopening the store, visit the Powell’s Books website.
You may also like: