Tyron Creek Natural Area is celebrating one of Portland’s must-see spring blooms. The Trillium Festival invites you to get outside and enjoy this special seasonal flower.
Located in Southwest Portland, Tryon Creek is one of Portland’s best urban parks. This beautiful natural area is a great example of our temperate rainforest climate: trees covered in moss with huge ferns lining the trails that lead to the creek.
The more than 658 acres create an ideal habitat for many flora and fauna. One of its celebrated springtime blooms is trillium.
These blooms start with a white flower in late February and early March. Then the slow transformation begins to a reddish-purple from late April to early May.
It’s important remember to take a few photos, but not disturb the blooms. These delicate plants will generally die if you pick the flower. Fun fact: The seeds of the trillium plants are dispersed by ants.
Trillium Festival at Tryon Creek Natural Area
The Trillium Festival is Saturday, April 1, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tryon Creek has celebrated the return of the trillium for 43 years, an early season perennial native to local forests.
During the Trillium Festival, the Friends of Tryon Creek are hosting fun activities for everyone to enjoy.
Here’s a list of activities planned for the event:
- Peruse a selection of native plants at Bosky Dell Natives plant sale.
- Explore family-friendly educational stations around the Nature Center and along the trails.
- Bring your own pot for a pop-up living botanical creation from Poppy & Finch Mobile Studio. You will have to pay for this activity.
- Get coffee, pastries and refreshments on the back deck of the Nature Center overlooking the forest.
- Buy two-for-one potted trillium and camas for your garden.
This event is free to attend.
Tryon Creek Natural Area is at 11321 South Terwilliger Blvd. in Portland. For more information, visit the Friends of Tryon Creek’s website.
Want more Portland freebies, events and deals? Subscribe to my newsletter (only one email a day), and follow me on Facebook and Twitter!
Best of Portland Living on the CheapCheck out Portland Living on the Cheap's most popular articles!
Subscribe to Portland Living on the Cheap's email newsletter >>
- Free and Cheap Weekend Events
- Portland's Best Thrift Shops
- Museums on Us: Visit Portland Museums for Free
- The Best Places to Sell Your Stuff in Portland
- Free Birthday Food, Drink and Fun in Portland
- 8 Places in Portland to See a Movie for $7
- Top 5 Multnomah County Library Card Perks You Need to Know About
- Portland's Best Urban Parks
- Where to Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear and Sporting Goods in Portland
- 5 Cheap and Awesome Ways to Catch Live Music in Portland
- Buy Cheap Books at Portland’s Independent Bookstores
Tryon Creek State Natural Area
11321 S Terwilliger Blvd
Portland, OR 97219
[…] ← Trillium Festival at Tryon Creek Natural Area […]
[…] Trillium Festival […]