Celebrate Fat Tuesday at the most authentic Louisiana Mardi Gras experience in the Pacific Northwest.
The Portland Mardi Gras Parade is returning to North Mississippi Avenue. The annual event is hosted by the Mysti Krewe of Nimbus, a group formed in 2010 to bring the Louisiana Mardi Gras spirit to Portland. The Krewe is made up of former Louisiana residents and locals who love the food, music, and culture of Louisiana.
Find out all the ways you can enjoy Mardi Gras at this free community event.
2023 Portland Mardi Gras Parade and Celebration
Portland Mardi Gras Day Parade is taking place Tuesday, February 21, 2023. During the free community event, hundreds of Portlanders revel in the streets with lighted costumes, marching bands and bunches of beads thrown to the crowd. The Mysti Krewe also decorates a limited number of mini umbrellas that are tossed to the crowd.
Before the parade, a kids costume contest will take place at Luke’s Frame Shop at 5:30 p.m.
The parade step off time is 7 p.m. This is a free, family-friendly event.
The parade takes place on North Mississippi Ave. It starts at Humboldt/Albina and rolls down to Cook St. just past Fremont St.
Parade entertainment includes marching bands, jugglers, Samba, Bhangra, and more. Here’s a list of performers:
- Big Foot Brass Band: 10-piece military marching brass band.
- Brass Roots Movement: Jazz, funk and traditional Mardi Gras marching band.
- NW Bones Gang: Northwest Bones Gang is a Mardi Gras Black Indian Gang.
- Beaumont Marching Bobcats: 150-piece middle school band.
- The Beat Goes On: Reviving high school and college marching band experiences.
- Portland Samba Band: High energy Brazilian percussion ensemble.
- Jesters Brass Marching Band: Leading the Portland Mardi Gras second line.
Parade Celebrations at Bars and Restaurants
After the parade, keep the fun rolling at these locations along Mississippi Avenue.
- Miss Delta is hosting hot jazz from Pete Krebs and the Catnip Brothers along with food specials including crawfish and shrimp boils, muffaletta, and King cake.
- Mississippi Studios After Party features Lucky Beaucoup and Too Loose Cajun/Zydeco Band. Tickets are $10.
- Mississippi Pizza and Atlantis Lounge is hosting a New Orleans dance party with Jay’s Funky Donkey, a live band led by trombone player Jeffrey Chilton. Tickets are $10.
- Interurban is serving New Orleans inspired food and cocktails.
- Watch the parade from Lustre Pearl Portland’s large patio and balconies.
- Pilot House Distilling is serving Absinthe Frappes and French 75’s.
- The Rambler will have front-row viewing of the parade and Mardi Gras themed food and drink specials.
- Stormbreaker Brewing is having a Mardi Gras street party.
- Victoria Bar invites you to start the parade off right with hurricanes and beignets all night.
For more information, visit the Portland Mardi Gras Parade’s website.
Want more Portland freebies, events and deals? Subscribe to my newsletter (only one email a day), and follow me on Facebook and Twitter!
Best of Portland Living on the CheapCheck out Portland Living on the Cheap's most popular articles!
Subscribe to Portland Living on the Cheap's email newsletter >>
- Free and Cheap Weekend Events
- Portland's Best Thrift Shops
- Museums on Us: Visit Portland Museums for Free
- The Best Places to Sell Your Stuff in Portland
- Free Birthday Food, Drink and Fun in Portland
- 8 Places in Portland to See a Movie for $7
- Top 5 Multnomah County Library Card Perks You Need to Know About
- Portland's Best Urban Parks
- Where to Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear and Sporting Goods in Portland
- 5 Cheap and Awesome Ways to Catch Live Music in Portland
- Buy Cheap Books at Portland’s Independent Bookstores
Mississippi Pizza and Atlantis Lounge
3552 N Mississippi Ave.
Portland, OR 97227
[…] 2023 Portland Mardi Gras Parade and Celebration […]