Celebrate Japanese New Year at Portland Japanese Garden.
Nestled in Washington Park, Portland Japanese Garden has been a place of serenity and tranquility for more than 50 years. Explore the eight unique garden spaces, from lush greens to ponds to sand and stone. Each garden highlights unique aspects of Japanese garden history and design.
While you’re there, see the whole park aboard the free Washington Park shuttle.
Here are the details about the garden’s Japanese New Year celebration.
Japanese New Year at Portland Japanese Garden
On Sunday, January 7, the garden invites you to kick off the year of the dragon during O-Shogatsu, Japanese New Year. Celebrate the start of a new year and hope for happiness and prosperity in the months ahead.
For the celebration the garden is decorated in Kadomatsu, traditional arrangements of pine, bamboo, and plum branches.
There will be special activities at the garden during the Japanese New Year celebration. Here’s the schedule:
- 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Learn how to paint a dragon in the style of Sumi-e, Japanese brush painting, at the Yanai classroom.
- 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Watch Kadomatsu demonstrations by Caleb Hendrickson at the Cathy Rudd cultural corner.
- 12:45-1:20 p.m. Oregon Koto-Kai performance features a New Year’s themed story with accompanying music at the Cathy Rudd cultural corner.
- 1-3:30 p.m. Learn how to paint a dragon in the style of Sumi-e, Japanese brush painting, at the Yanai classroom.
- 1:45-2:20 p.m. Oregon Koto-Kai performance features a New Year’s themed story with accompanying music at the Cathy Rudd cultural corner.
Also, Portland Coffee Roasters will be serving complimentary coffee to visitors during the event.
The celebration is included in the Portland Japanese Garden admission price. Tickets are $21.95 for adults and $15.95 for kids ages 6-17. Kids 5 and under attend for free.
The Japanese New Year celebration is taking place Sunday, January 7, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For more information and to buy tickets, visit Portland Japanese Garden’s website.
You may also like: