Celebrate Latin American culture and community at this special OMSI science night.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, better known as OMSI, is one of the nation’s leading science centers and we’re lucky to have it right here in Portland. Science lovers and explorers of the unknown will marvel at the special exhibits, hands-on labs and planetarium, 4-story screen theater and much more. The local attraction also hosts a monthly discount day with $2 tickets.
OMSI also hosts special events throughout the year. Here are the details about this upcoming science night:
Latin American Community Ciencias Night at OMSI
The Latin American Community Ciencias Night is Friday, August 19, from 6-10 p.m. Get ready to dance, eat and learn with special activities all night long. All are welcome to attend.
Here’s the schedule of exhibits and activities:
- Visit the featured exhibit, The World of da Vinci (closes at 9 p.m.).
- Watch James Cameron: Challenging the Deep in the Natural Science Hall.
- Explore the Roots of Wisdom in the Empirical Theater Lobby.
- Enjoy science demos and Pa’lante PDX 10 Piece Salsa and Latin jazz band.
- Kids ages 0-6 can play in the Science Playground (closes at 8 p.m.).
- Teens ages 13-18 can check out the Teen Tech Center (closes at 9:30 p.m.).
- Listen to classical Latin guitar plater David Tutmark at Theory Restaurant.
The Kendall Planetarium has shows available on a first come, first served basis. Here’s the show schedule:
- 6:30 p.m. Black Holes (English)
- 7:15 p.m. Black Holes (Spanish)
- 8 p.m. Worlds Beyond Earth (English)
- 8:45 p.m. Worlds Beyond Earth (Spanish)
- 9:30 p.m. Bruno Mars laser light show
At 7:30 p.m., the Empirical Theater is hosting Oregon State House Representative Teresa Alonso Leon. She’ll discuss her childhood love of science, creating a Latino Science Night and how she now supports science through policy.
There will also be local organization booths onsite. Food and drink options include Tamale Boy, Elephants Deli food at the Empirical Cafe, Beacon Hill Winery, La Familia Cider Co., La Casa De Mama, Parra Wine Co. and Reforma.
Tickets are $12 for adults and $8 for kids. Tickets include access to the featured exhibit, activities listed above and parking. Additional entertainment is available for purchase.
OMSI is located at 1945 SE Water St. For more information and to buy tickets, visit OMSI’s website.
You may also like: