A new nature park has opened in the heart of Oregon City. Attend the grand opening this weekend and partake in fun family-friendly activities.
Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park is a 236-acre forested park featuring a multiuse trail system that provides more than 2 miles of walking paths and nearly 2 miles of mountain biking trails.
Over the past decade, the canyon has transformed into a natural oasis with 20,550 native shrubs and trees planted, including tall Oregon grape, oceanspray, Pacific ninebark, red osier dogwood, Oregon white oak and Douglas fir.
Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park Grand Opening
The park originally opened in December. Now that the weather is nicer and the community can gather to celebrate, Oregon Metro is hosting an official grand opening with food, music and activities on Saturday, April 2 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Here’s a list of fun activities planned for the grand opening:
- View the ribbon cutting at 11:30 a.m.
- Get a bite to eat at one of the food vendors.
- Learn about youth mountain biking basics from Northwest Trail Alliance. This activity is open to ages 8+.
- Take a guided nature walk. Portland State University geologist Scott Burns will share the history of the canyon.
- Partake in arts, crafts and other hands-on activities.
The Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park Grand Opening event is free and open to all. No registration is required.
The parking lot at the park will be reserved primarily for guests with mobility concerns and elderly visitors. Overflow parking is available at the Regal Cinemas at Hilltop Mall, 325 Beavercreek Rd. in Oregon City. It is a 6-minute walk to the park.
Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park is located at 485 Warner Milne Rd. in Oregon City. For more information, visit Oregon Metro’s website.