Oregon is truly a natural wonder. In Portland, we’re lucky enough to live a short drive from the mountain and the ocean. If you’re looking for an unforgettable day trip or want to get out of the city during spring break, head to the coast for whale watching.
Nearly 18,000 gray whales will be traveling from Baja Mexico to Alaska. You can spot whales on their journey south from late-March through June.
There are many places to take in every spout and tail slap stretching the Oregon coastline, from Astoria all the way south to Brookings.
If you’re feeling cooped up and need to get out, take a drive to the coast. Pack a lunch, a pair of binoculars and make a whole day out of spotting a whale or two.
Whale Watching Week is taking place March 28 through April 2.
I recommend visiting the Whale Watching Center in Depoe Bay. It is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
Below is a map of 17 designated whale watching locations. These locations will have volunteers onsite to help you spot whales during Whale Watching Week.
Choose a location below and spend a day seeing one of the world’s greatest migrations.
For more information about whale watching on the Oregon coast, visit the Oregon State Parks website.
Want more Portland freebies, events and deals? Subscribe to my newsletter (only one email a day), and follow me on Facebook and Twitter!
Best of Portland Living on the CheapCheck out Portland Living on the Cheap's most popular articles!
Subscribe to Portland Living on the Cheap's email newsletter >>
- Free and Cheap Weekend Events
- Portland's Best Thrift Shops
- Museums on Us: Visit Portland Museums for Free
- The Best Places to Sell Your Stuff in Portland
- Free Birthday Food, Drink and Fun in Portland
- 8 Places in Portland to See a Movie for $7
- Top 5 Multnomah County Library Card Perks You Need to Know About
- Portland's Best Urban Parks
- Where to Buy and Sell Used Outdoor Gear and Sporting Goods in Portland
- 5 Cheap and Awesome Ways to Catch Live Music in Portland
- Buy Cheap Books at Portland’s Independent Bookstores
Lisa H says