Video copyright Trimet 2017
Have you ever ran up to the pay kiosk as the max train was pulling into the station, frantically clicking through the prompts and begging the machine to print your ticket before the train pulls away? If you haven’t experienced this firsthand, I’m sure you’ve witnessed this struggle. Have no fear, Portland transit riders. The Hop Fastpass fare card is here!
Let’s rewrite that scene. With the Hop Fastpass, you can approach your max train with ease knowing your fare is one checkmark away. The Hop Fastpass is available in card and app form.
How it works
- Tap your Hop card or App on the Hop Fastpass reader and wait for the green checkmark and ding. These are located on the buses and streetcars, and outside the max trains. Find the reader. You must tap every time you ride, including during transfers.
- The reader will show you how much time you have left of your pass and if you card balance is low.
- The Fastpass is available in card and app form.
Perks of Fastpass
- Pay for two trips in one day and you ride free for the rest of the service day. Learn more.
- Once you reach the price of a one-month pass ($100), you ride free until the next month.
Where to buy one
Download the free app (iOS and Android).
You can also buy a Hop card. It costs $3 with a $5 minimum when you load money onto the card. You can find the card in-store at Fred Meyer and Safeway. More stores will be added in September, such as Plaid Pantry, New Seasons and 7-Eleven. Use this map to locate your nearest store.
You can also pick one up at an upcoming events. Stop by the hop booth for a limited number of FREE cards, swag and more information. Here are the events:
How to reload card
For the time being, cards can be reloaded at Customer Service at the Hop website or app (iOS and Android), or call at 1-844-MYHOPCARD. Eventually, most stores will let you reload in the checkout line.
Will Hop Fastpass help speed up your commute?
Want more Portland freebies, events and deals? Subscribe to my newsletter (only one email a day), and follow me on Facebook and Twitter!